Monday, April 19, 2010





I found this photograph at http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photo-of-the-day/manatee-and-fish/

This photograph was taken by Yusuke Okada on January 11, 2010



I really like this photograph because I thought it was really cool that the fish were on the back of the manatee and how they are eating off of him. I think it is incredible to see how nature works, and how things happen like that in the ocean. I really like the colorful school of fish and the way the manatee looks so gentle. I love how detailed the photograph is; you can see the wrinkles on the manatee's nose and his whiskers. I really like that this picture is underwater and that the water is so clear and blue. I think this picture is really beautiful becuase of the way the sunlight is beaming down right over the manatee. This picture makes me feel so free and happy when I look at the colors and the way the manatee and fish get along.
The lighting used in this photograph is natural lighting. There is a dramatic beam of sunlight that is shining through the water right above the manatee and fish lighting them up. The sunlight shines around the whole photograph, but the ray of light is coming from the upper left corner, and it leads your eye right to the fish that frame the manatee.
The photographer used the element of color. The bright blues gave a warm temperature. This photographer also used texture because when i look at the picture it seems as if i can reach out and feel the scales on the fish and the wrinkles on the manatee's nose because of all the detail that creates a sense of texture. The photographer made a great sense of unity in this photograph becuase it seems like the fish and the manatee belong together. The emphasis is on the manatee in the middle of the picture. This emphasis was created by the frame the fish made around the manatee and the ray of sunlight that lead right to the manatee.
I feel that the photographer is trying to communitcate the gentleness of the manatee and how nature fits together; the fish are on the manatee's back eating the moss off of him, and he seems content and natural. I feel that the photographer was trying to create this feeling of unity and freedom in the ocean by doing this. I think that this theme of freedom and unity is communicated very clearly.



No comments:

Post a Comment